District ManagerBelleville News-Democrat
Department: Audience Development
Reports To: Logistics Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Job Status: FT
This position will report to Logistics Coordinator and has on site responsibility for audience growth of the newspaper’s entire product portfolio, including regional or national titles.
The position will also have a responsibility to ensure that Audience Development work conducted for the assigned newspaper is done in a world-class manner. This will include supporting strong operational practices, billing practices and customer services practices that meet and exceed the expectations of internal and external customers.
District Managers support the organization’s commitment to its financial and audience goals including but not limited to audience growth, expense, revenue and operating cash flow.
This management position oversees the distribution of the newspaper within a designated territory and is responsible for keeping the day-to-day business of newspaper distribution running within the department.
This position ensures efficient delivery service, following up on all carrier and subscriber requests. The position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to: 1) recruiting; 2) selecting and contracting with newspaper carriers; and 3) establish expectations and monitor distribution and customer service results.
The position is responsible for establishing and achieving audience/subscriber growth and retention goals within assigned territory. This position is responsible for achieving established goals through increased sales, reduction of service errors and timely collection of accounts in assigned territory. In addition, the position is responsible for preparation/development of appropriate tracking as it relates to current objectives and future goals.
This position includes several functions that are multi-faceted. This position assists with gathering data in preparation of establishing goals and expected results, evaluates territory and establishes effective marketing strategies. The District Manager manages all results as it relates to circulation growth, reduction of service errors, collection and retention. The position resolves internal and external customer problems and makes practical recommendations. This position requires the ability to assess situations and apply practical solutions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed to ensure success for the assigned newspaper.
· DISTRIBUTION – Oversee the distribution of the newspaper to our carriers and subscribers within a designated territory. Work with the DC Manager and staffs to help efficiently manage the DC and ensure the correct quantity and zone advertising packages are issued to each contractor.
· DELIVERY—responsible to ensure every product and edition, including home delivery, single copy, Yes!, national and regional partner publications, JDAs (where available), TMC, targeted non-paid print products are delivered. Occasionally assemble, roll, bag, and deliver newspapers as required for down route delivery.
· NEWSPAPER CARRIERS – Recruit and contract with newspaper carriers. Ensure that prospects properly understand and are equipped to provide world class service to customers on a day in, day out basis.
· CONTRACT HOLDERS – Manage contract requirements and the results achieved by contract holders. Assess results of contractors and take proactive or corrective, decisive measures with contracts.
· SALES – Acquire new subscribers within assigned territory through personal sales efforts, carrier motivation and follow through.
· SERVICE – Resolve customer complaints within assigned district in a timely fashion. Establish service expectations as defined in contracts with
· AUDIENCE VOLUMES – Assist in establishing audience volume goals and objectives. Includes but is not limited to Sales, and Service. Monitor progress of goals and objectives. Take proactive, corrective measures if goals and objectives are not consistently achieved.
· AUDITS—Routinely conducts single copy audits to ensure the correct numbers of newspapers are being left at stores and vending machines, and that unsold copies are being reported accurately.
· REPORTS – Prepare various computer and manual reports and/or records, especially related to carrier and district performance in relation to the company’s overall service and market penetration goals.
· SUPERVISION – Oversee contract relationship with independent contractor carriers.
· OTHER DUTIES – Perform other duties as assigned.
· Attains goals and objectives, policies and procedures for the Audience Development departments at the assigned newspaper.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to operate computer and legally drive a vehicle.
· Ability to safely operate a motorized pallet jack
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, and volume. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear; enter and exit vehicles repeatedly during a work shift. The employee is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to feel objects and operate tools or controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and have the ability to throw newspapers varying distances from vehicle to doorsteps. The employee must be able to safely and competently drive a vehicle, hold a valid driver's license. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus during daytime and nighttime hours.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work in and be exposed to all outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.