Laborer and Equipment Operator
Location: Metropolitan St. Louis Area (Missouri)
Salary: $18-$21 per hour
Facility Type: River terminal and warehousing facility
Position: Laborer and equipment operator. This is a Nonexempt position.
Department: Dock and Domes.
Description: Primarily responsible for handling agricultural fertilizer products as part of the warehousing and distribution business. This involves manual lifting, equipment operation, record keeping, and other activities.
- Must be capable of working as part of a team. This includes good verbal skills and the ability to get along well with co-workers.
- Must be able to communicate clearly, and understand both verbal and written communications.
- This position requires that the employee be capable of lifting 50 pounds or more on a routine basis. It also requires the ability to climb, bend, and work for extended period.
- During the course of employment the employee may be expected to operate the following pieces of heavy equipment: front end loader, forklift, tractor, sweeper, aerial boom, skid steer or others as needed. The company will train the employee and issue a certification on each piece of equipment.
- The dock operation requires that the employee be capable of climbing ladders and onto and off barges. This will be done while wearing the required personal protective equipment.
- The worker must be capable of following verbal and written directions and requires minimal supervision.
- Must have a positive attitude toward performing all duties in a safe manner, while also being a good steward for the environment to achieve the company’s goals of Zero Accidents, Zero Injuries, and Zero Pollution.
- Must be open to new challenges and flexible work schedules. This position may require evening, overtime or weekend working schedules.
Minimum Qualifications: The candidate must be personable and professional in appearance and attitude. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a plus in this position. Mechanical aptitude is a plus for this position.
Experience: This is an entry level position.
Education: The candidate must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent. Certification in heavy equipment operation is a plus.
Reporting relationships: This position reports to the Supervisor of Dock & Domes on a daily basis.
Working Conditions: The job requires moderate physical activity and the ability to work out of doors under all weather conditions. The typical work week is a standard 40 hours with overtime during the fertilizer seasons. The worker will be required to wear company supplied safety helmet, steel-toed safety shoes, safety glasses, life jacket as needed and specific PPE as required by OSHA standards.
Success Factors: Positive attitude, punctual, performance, dependability and the willingness to learn new skills.
Candidates will be subject to a background check and pre-employment medical examination which includes drug and alcohol testing.
Benefits include competitive salary, health insurance and 401(k) retirement plan.
This company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees are expected to adhere to all company policies and procedures.