Part-Time Temporary Systems Administrator, Intermediate
Part-Time Temporary Systems Administrator, Intermediate
Location: Astronomy & Planetary Sciences
Job ID: 607442
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position is subject to compliance with all U.S. laws and rules concerning the export of controlled or protected technologies or information. Additional information will be required from the successful candidate to determine eligibility for any necessary export licenses, exemptions, etc. The final offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory outcome of the export control evaluation.
- Applications must include a curriculum vitae, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. References will be contacted only with prior permission of the applicant.
- This position may require work outside of normal working hours to support system failures.
- This position is subject to the availability of funding. The incumbent is not eligible for Service Professional non-renewal notice, or Classified Staff layoff or recall status.
- This position is a hybrid position which allows the incumbent to complete their work at both an NAU site, campus, or facility and at a non-centralized site with or without accommodation.
The PIXEL research group in the Department of Astronomy and Planetary Sciences at Northern Arizona University seeks a Part-Time Temporary Employee to fill a Systems Administrator, Intermediate position. We are a research lab studying the surfaces and atmospheres of rocky planets throughout our solar system. We process and analyze large datasets, develop new instruments, perform laboratory measurements, and run computer models of complex systems. In this role, you will support this cutting-edge planetary research through the management of computational resources, large datasets and help develop new tools to support data processing data returned from multiple missions across the solar system.
Server Hardware Maintenance - 65%
- Maintain Linux servers, network/switches, VPN, firewall, internal code repository, and several Windows and MacOS machines.
- Follows standard systems administration principles and guidelines to ensure systems are protected and operating effectively.
- Installs and maintains server hardware to minimize system down-time.
- Monitors systems to ensure performance resolve user issues.
- Develops and deploys automated scripts for system maintenance.
Data Processing Support - 30%
- Support data processing for spaceflight missions, including scientific algorithm implementation, database management, software tool and web app development, and automation of data-handling operations and report generation.
- Manages and updates IT system administration data to ensure access to accurate and timely information.
Other - 5%
- Participate in team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree in computer science or a related fields, AND
- 1-3 years or relevant experience; OR
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- BS in computer science, systems administration, or a related field.
- Experience working in and managing complex computing environments, specifically Windows/Mac/Linux including low-level system functionality.
- Experience with multiple programming languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Fortran).
- Experience working with database systems.
- Experience working with cloud computing systems.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of Windows, MacOS, and Unix systems. Knowledge of Amazon web services (preferred).
- Knowledge of Docker software containers (preferred).
- Knowledge of database systems (SQL, Postgres, etc.).
- Intermediate knowledge of tools, processes, policies and concepts of system administration.
- Knowledge of system hardware maintenance methods and processes.
- Knowledge of application, networking and system software for higher education.
- Skill in communicating complex ideas in dynamic environments.
- Skill in the use of Python/C/IDL/Bash programming.
- Hardware and software troubleshooting skills.
- Programming languages.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Server configuration, administration and maintenance skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment, in person and via telecon.
- Ability to troubleshoot network problems.
- Ability to configure, administer, and maintain servers.
- Ability to install and maintain software.Balances competing priorities.
- Demonstrates problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Analyzes non-routine situations and anticipates issues.
- Communicates effectively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/ is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated rate starts at $32.29 per hour. Hourly rate commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a part-time, non-benefit eligible position.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
September 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, http://DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4559904
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.