Assistant Director, Entrepreneurship Program
Assistant Director, Entrepreneurship Programs
The George Mason University, Office of Research, Innovation and Economic Impact (ORIEI), invites applicants for an Assistant Director, Entrepreneurship Programs.
ORIEI provides access to real world problems, methodologies for transforming them into society-impacting and revenue generating products and services, and counsel to small businesses.
We undertake these activities to increase our value:
- To the state as economic driver
- To federal agencies as reliable translator of applied research
- To public and private sector partners as an honest broker and convener of assets
- To students as a provider of experiential learning
- To faculty as a source for interesting research and societal problems to be solved
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Assistant Director will support the Senior Director by managing the entrepreneurship programs including helping to develop programming and events, tracking success and results; serving as liaison to partners, other universities, speakers, co-sponsors, and venues; supporting the incubators’ programming; managing the grants process; support the marketing and communication efforts of the Office, and representing GMU in strategic meetings and entrepreneurial events as needed.
- With Programming Director, create and support entrepreneurship programs, to include programs for MEC incubators, MIX, I-Corps, Commonwealth Cybersecurity Initiatives, and other partner entities as needed;
- Plan a calendar of training events including confirming speakers and venues, and all logistical aspects of running events (catering, marketing, promotion, budgeting, etc.);
- Responsible or marketing material and promotion programs and events on all media platforms;
- Work with cosponsors, other universities and partners regarding logistics and marketing;
- Monitor funding grants;
- Help define success;
- Track and assess success;
- In coordination with Senior Program Director, attend entrepreneurship events throughout Northern Virginia on behalf of GMU; and
- Represent GMU to the entrepreneurship community.
REI Grant Coordinator
- Coordinate un-conferences;
- Manage and help create database of high-value partners in Northern Virginia, attendees and speakers;
- Arrange workgroup convenings;
- Help with recording and synthesis of convenings; and
- Assist with monitoring of REI budget.
Support for Accelerate Annual Event
- Support outreach and coordination of Accelerate annual investor event.
Support for Arlington Commonwealth Cybersecurity Incubator + Accelerator (CCI+A) and Programming
- Help with creation of boot camp;
- Provide support for customers in CCI+A;
- Provide assistance with managing student programs; and
- Support with cyber-focused hack-a-thons.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Proficiency with all aspects of managing and creating programming;
- Understand business issues affecting new and growing businesses, in particular in the tech sector;
- Possess a familiarity with business concepts;
- Be conversant with grant management and proposals;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Ability to effectively use social media and online business tools;
- Public speaking / Training experience;
- Ability to work some nights and weekends;
- Demonstrated positive working relationships with co-workers;
- Ability to create and maintain open channels of communication;
- Express ideas clearly and concisely; and
- Experience in providing outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Master’s Degree in Business or related field;
- 2+ years experience in a Business field; and
- Understand Business startup issues and experience with tech startups a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.