Lab Manager II - Civil and Environmental Engineering (526284)
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
Oversees the operations of a research laboratory. Maintains the equipment, coordinate the annual calibration of equipment. Provides technical support in material and structures related laboratories and activities. Assures the maintenance of engineering laboratory equipment and supplies; generate orders and specifications from general instructions to maintain laboratory safety and security.
- Oversees the operations of the assigned research and teaching laboratories. Conducts analysis of data and interprets research methodology based on outcome analysis. Provides technical support in material and structures related laboratories and activities.
- Plans and supervises the installation of equipment and design of specialized equipment for teaching and research in conjunction with the faculty.
- Plans and supervises electronic instrumentations related to research and teaching activities.
- Conducts training classes to students on experimental testing, instrumentation and collection of test data.
- Assists faculty in research projects as specified by supervisor, including operation of complete analytical equipment such as compression, tension, torsion, etc. performing analysis, demonstrations procedures, planning experiments and setting equipment.
- Assures the maintenance of engineering laboratory equipment and supplies; generates orders and specifications from general instructions to maintain laboratory safety and security. Initiates purchase orders to replenish depleted supplies and equipment parts for maintenance in good condition for properly conducting laboratory experiments of Soil Test, Engineering Materials, structures and construction. Assures that the laboratory rules for maintenance, meeting environmental requirements, cleaning, sinks, scales, arrangement of the utensils, prohibitions, etc., are followed
- May supervise assigned staff personnel.
- Serves as the University credit user for departmental transactions. Adheres to University guidelines, procedures, and policies. Orders supplies and maintains stock for the support of all laboratory and shop activities. Administers the supply and equipment budgets.
- Interprets and implements policies and procedures.
- Designs, develops, and implements new lab procedures.
- Performs risk management, safety protocols, compliance with EH&S requirements, user safety training.
- Organizes and oversees the setup of lab material/equipment/lab instruments/supplies needed for the class.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree
- Construction related experience.
- Obtain a Forklift certification within two months of hire.
- Experience working in Higher Education.
- Forklift certification.
- Crane Operator certification.
- Degree in Construction management or related field
- Ability to learn how to operate testing machines.
Advertised Salary: $55,000-$65,000
For further information or to apply, please visit careers.fiu.edu and reference Job Opening ID # 526284
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.