Maintenance MechanicEast St. Louis Housing Authority
General Statement of Duties: Performs grounds and building maintenance, and minor repairs including but not necessarily limited to the following: patching/repairing holes, painting, minor carpentry, minor electrical and minor plumbing.
Reports to: Property Manager Supervises:
This is not a supervisory position.
1. Responsible for cleaning and maintaining Housing Authority grounds, including but not limited to, grass cutting, trimming bushes and foliage, raking and removing leaves and debris, and snow removal.
2. Performs indoor cleaning duties including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, and polishing of floors, stairways, elevators, changing of light bulbs; vacuuming and cleaning carpets, cleaning of appliances, walls, ceilings, windows, other household surfaces, cleaning of trash chute doors inside/out, cleaning of vacant units.
3. Performs outdoor cleaning duties including but not limited to trash removal, removal of bulk debris; sweeping of curbs and walks, power washing, leaf and snow/ice removal as necessary. Informs Asset Property Manager of resident yards with trash and other conditions which adversely affect the overall appearance of the development
4. Maintains grounds through the safe, effective and efficient use of walk behind and riding mowers, weed eaters, edgers, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, and other lawn care and landscape equipment.
5. Exercise knowledge in the maintenance of grounds and janitorial maintenance techniques, methods, and materials.
6. Checks playground equipment and performs minor repairs as necessary at playground sites within the development to insure safety of the equipment.
7. Ability to handle minor repairs including but not limited to replace smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, outlet receptacles, repair and/or replace interior door handsets, repair and/or replace light fixtures/light bulbs, and patch and repair minor holes in walls.
8. Repair, replace and/or install window/storm door screens.
9. Unclog bath or kitchen fixtures, drains or sewer lines.
10. Preparation and painting of interior and exterior areas.
11. Practices safety precautions and is safety conscious at all times.
12. Stores and maintains tools, supplies and materials, etc.
13. Counsels and advises residents and staff on preventive measures.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Attendance is reliable; leave does not exceed the amount permitted, the employee has no unexcused absences.
2. Employee takes all appropriate safety precautions to avoid on-the-job accidents, and immediately notifies supervisor of all safety hazards.
3. Employee is available to respond to after hour emergency conditions as needed.
4. All equipment, parts, tools, etc. are secured daily and kept clean and in good working condition.
5. Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques, methods, materials, and equipment used in household repairs and maintenance.
6. Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques, methods, materials, and equipment used in janitorial/grounds and minor repairs.
7. Demonstrates good resident relations skills and the ability to work well with others.
8. All required ESLHA paperwork is prepared properly and submitted (turned in, closed out, etc.) on a timely basis.
9. Must wear appropriate uniform, identification, and required work attire including but not limited to steel-toe shoes, necessary ear and eye protection daily.
10. All assigned work is completed in a timely manner and meets established quality standards.
11. All supplies needed to perform assigned tasks are properly requisitioned daily or as determined by supervisor.
12. Must be able to operate and properly care for:
a. Motor vehicles (trucks, autos);
b. Push and riding mowers, trimmers, weed eaters, and other equipment;
c. Hand and yard tools, including hammer, screwdriver, saw, knife, level, drill, and wrenches, and other hand tools necessary for particular job performing;
d. Auger/Sewer equipment;
e. Floor buffer/polishing equipment;
f. Painting equipment including roller, brush and sprayer; and
g. Trash compactors and electrical/manual tools as necessary.
13. Assist management personnel, as requested, including but not limited to:
a. Distribution of notices;
b. Unit and grounds Inspections;
c. Keeping shop clean and organized;
d. Escorting of Contractors on the premises;
e. Attend special training programs, as available.
Qualifications Education: Requires a high school diploma or GED. Trade school diploma/certificate desirable. Experience: A minimum of one (1) year of experience and/or certified training in maintenance repair and grounds keeping. Other Requirements Must have and maintain a valid Driver's License throughout employment.
Salary: See agreement with Service Employees’ International Union, Local 73. (Non-Exempt) in the Human Resources Department Submit Application to the Human Resource Department. Open Until Filled.