WASTEWATER TREATEMENT PLANT OPERATOR
City of Mascoutah
Title: Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
Department: Water and Wastewater Department
Reports to: Water Department Forman and The Public Works Director
Supervision Duties: Wastewater Treatment Plant and Lift Stations
- This position requires comprehensive understanding of math equations, written instructions and an understanding of all current applicable EPA and IEPA regulations. Applicant must possess a valid Illinois Class 1 WWTP operator’s license, Industrial Wastewater Treatment Works Operator’s Certification for deicing agents utilized at MidAmerica St. Louis Airport or ability to obtain said Certification within six months of hire date and a valid Illinois Class D or higher Water Operator’s license.
- Knowledge of and experience with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) equipment is required.
- Basic knowledge and experience in the principals of electricity and mechanical equipment related to various types of pumps, motors and control panels.
- Maintenance, trouble shooting and computer skills including MS Word and Excel are required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent with additional training in Wastewater Treatment and Water Operations and a minimum of 8 years related work experience.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Assist the City in the planning and construction of the City’s future sewer plant.
- Perform sampling and wastewater analysis in testing influent, effluent and solids: adjust tank flow levels as necessary for adequate treatment during higher flow rates due to wet weather conditions.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date records of the treatment plant operations and prepare weekly and monthly reports to IEPA, EPA and the City as requested.
- Perform preventative maintenance on all motors, gear boxes, pumps and all associated equipment, etc.
- Furnish City Manager estimates for treatment plant operating and maintenance costs to be included in the annual budget.
- Assist Water and Sewer Division with routine inspections, maintenance and repairs of lift stations, water distribution and waste water collection systems.
- Furnish Public Works Director with recommendations for contracting emergency repairs and system upgrades when warranted.
- Perform all duties of WWTP Operator including Sludge management and disposal.
- Perform regular duties during emergency conditions occurring after normal work hours and on weekends as needed.
- Manage inventory of supplies necessary to operate the treatment plant in compliance with IEPA regulations.
- Train other City employees to assist in plant operations for times of emergency situations and occasional absents of the plant operator.
- Perform other duties and functions as assigned.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Class 1 Illinois Waste Water Operator’s License is required and must complete required hours of training to maintain this license requirement.
- Industrial Wastewater Treatment Works Operator’s Certificate for deicing agents utilized at MidAmerica St. Louis Airport.
- Class D Illinois Water Operator’s License or higher is required and must complete required hours of training to maintain this license requirement.
- “Class B CDL” Commercial Driver’s License.
- Must be able to drive a vehicle on a daily basis.
- Requires varying levels of concentration and attention.
- Requires visual and hearing interpretation.
- Must be able to handle up to and over 60 pounds of material rarely, up to 25 pounds of material occasionally and up to 5 pounds frequently.
- Must be able to move material by hand continuously, by truck occasionally.
- Lifting is required in most office type activities.
- Ability to perform job duties during stressful situations.
- Ability to perform indoor and outdoor activities.
- May be subjected to conditions including fumes, odors, dust, gases or poor ventilation.
- Work in and exposed to extreme cold and heat occasionally.
- Hazards include proximity to moving mechanical parts, vibration, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, explosives, noise, exposure to high heat, exposure to chemicals occasionally.
Applications will be accepted until May 29, 2020 (COB)
This job description purpose is to indicate the types of tasks and difficulty levels needed for this position. It is not intended to state specific duties and responsibilities or to limit the control of a supervisor to assist, direct or assign work of employees under their supervision. This document will not exclude other duties not stated herein.