ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
City of Greenville
Title: Economic Development Director
Reports to: City Manager
The City of Greenville, Illinois (population 7,000) is located 45 miles east of the metropolitan St. Louis area along Interstate 70. Greenville is a progressive community bridging the gap between the rich history of its downtown area and economic growth of the industrial park and development along the I-70 corridor of the city.
The city is on the threshold of a downtown revitalization with plans for a city plaza, multi-use apartment project, and renovations to historic buildings, all which are primed to attract new retail and restaurants and transform the charming downtown area. We are also home to two industrial parks with two Class 1 rail lines. We are home to Greenville University, a hospital, Kingsbury Park District, airport, excellent schools, and a lake!
City of Greenville is seeking a qualified individual to lead economic growth during this exciting time! We’ve got a lot to offer, and the Economic Development Director’s job will be to sell Greenville. The Director needs to be someone who will organize, administer, and execute programs that encourages growth. They will be responsible for effectively establishing relationships within the community, with prospective developers, and governmental agencies. The position will oversee tax incentive financing, enterprise zones, and other economic development programs, using various incentives to attract and promote business growth.
Responsibilities and Duties (other duties may be assigned)
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and administers a comprehensive and coordinated program aimed at encouraging viable economic development for the City.
- Designs, develops and implements business recruitment, retention and expansion programs. ∙ Recommends economic development goals and priorities; develops and prepares informational brochures and other materials describing the community and provides information on economic development activities to the City website.
- Maintains a list of available commercial properties.
- Responsible for administration of TIF, Enterprise Zone, and other economic development programs.
- Contacts businesses interested in locating to the community and initiates recruitment efforts to attract businesses that meet the City’s job creation goals; assists businesses by expediting local permit approvals.
- Analyzes job training needs of current and prospective employers and coordinates this effort with local educational institutions and other job-training organizations.
- Attends meetings, workshops, conferences and seminars on economic development; serves as an advocate for business within the City.
- Establishes and maintains contact with other City, County and statewide economic development organizations and serves as team leader on specific projects related to economic development.
- Coordinates and facilitates major development projects and works closely with other City departments on these projects.
- Coordinates economic development activities with other City departments and offices.
- Analyzes legislation pertaining to economic development; recommends policy and procedural changes to implement adopted legislation.
- Prepares reports, graphic representations and statistical summaries on issues related to economic development and makes presentations to the City Council, commissions, business and community organizations and other stakeholders regarding these issues.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably with focus on public administration
- Three years prior Economic or Community Development Experience
Forward resume, cover letter and professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
City of Greenville
404 S Third Street
Greenville, IL 62246
The City of Greenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.