GIS Technician ICity of Edwardsville
|Responsible for data collection using a Global Positioning System (GPS), integration of data with the GIS, and output of data. Assists with mapping projects and GIS development.|
The major task areas required to successfully perform this job.
- Collect data with GPS unit. Thorough understanding of GPS operation, supporting software, integration of data with GIS, and effective presentation of collected data using ArcGIS software.
- Assist with basic mapping projects and data development
- Competently, safely, and efficiently operate all relevant office equipment, especially GIS printers and their supporting software.
- Collect, document, and integrate into the GIS the locations of all public infrastructure including street, water and sewer systems.
- Assists other department employees as needed.
- Assumes other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum requirements to competently perform the key responsibilities of this job in terms of educational background, work experience, licenses/certifications, physical requirements and other knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Successful completion of Bachelor’s Degree program for Geography, Cartography, GIS or a related field.
- Prior experience or coursework dealing with the use of a GPS unit is preferred.
- Formal training and use of MS Office and ESRI ArcGIS10 or higher is required.
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD preferred, but not required.
- The ability to understand and interpret legal property descriptions, site plans, infrastructure and utility system plans, and other related technical documents.
- A basic understanding of coordinate systems, spatial data and cartography is required.
- A basic proficiency in arithmetic, geometry, algebra and statistics is required.
- Ability to work independently in the field without supervision is required.
- Must be physically capable of traversing rough terrain and lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Strong work ethics
- Attention to detail
- Normal color vision.
- Good use of English language – speaking, reading comprehension, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Ability to communicate at all levels internally and externally
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently in a high-volume and fast-paced team environment
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in a responsible manner and to deal effectively with the public and other City employees
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service and exceptional follow-through
- Ability to operate required office equipment in order to send and receive information with necessary optical, auditory and manual dexterity
- Ability to use a keyboard to enter, retrieve or transform words or data
- Ability to walk, stand or sit for an hour or more at a time
- Ability to closely examine a computer screen or written reports and ability to proofread and check documents for errors
Must be physically capable of traversing rough terrain and lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
Ability to walk, stand or sit for an hour or more at a time
Ability to closely examine a computer screen or written reports and ability to proofread and check documents for errors
The City of Edwardsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Notice to all applicants: Residents of the City of Edwardsville may receive preferential consideration for employment if all other employment qualifications are equal.