PUBLIC WORKS LABORER
The City of Columbia is currently accepting applications for full time positions with the Department of Public Works.
Experience in streets, parks, sewer and/or water desirable. Applicants must have or obtain within 90 days after employment, a valid commercial driver’s license. A pre-employment medical examination and an alcohol and drug screen will be required.
Applications can be obtained from the City’s website www.columbiaillinois.com or at the City Clerk’s office, 208 South Rapp Avenue, Columbia, IL 62236. Applications will be accepted at the City Clerk’s office until Wednesday, September 15th at 4:30 p.m.
The City of Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Public Works Foremen/Leadmen
A position description is written to describe work to be performed by a fully-qualified employee (i.e., an
individual who possesses the knowledge, skills, and experience required by the position). A less-qualified
individual may fill the position on the condition that, with training, he/she will fully meet responsibilities and
skills within a reasonable period of time.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs skilled and semi-skilled work in a variety of street, grounds, and water/sewer systems maintenance
1. Street Maintenance
a. Resurface City streets, filling potholes and cracks, and activities related to street paving
b. Remove, grade, form, and replace concrete pavement, curbs, and sidewalks
c. Grade, form, and pour new concrete swales, walls, and curbs
d. Clean, repair, and maintain drainage structures
e. Snow removal, chemical treatment, sweeping and cleaning
f. Install, remove, and repair traffic signs
g. Paint striping on streets and crosswalks
2. Water/Sewer System Maintenance
a. Performs mechanical work to maintain water pumping and distribution systems
b. Performs mechanical work to maintain sanitary sewer pumping, collection, and treatment
c. Performs mechanical work to repair and install piping and equipment associated with the
water pumping and sewer systems
d. Performs activities required to monitor, sample and test the water distribution and sewer
collection systems to assure the systems are in accordance with local, state and federal
a. Manually picks up and hauls trash and debris from City property
4. Parks Maintenance
a. Performs mowing and weed control
b. Trims and removes trees, tree debris, and stumps
Rev. 8/30/2021 Public Works - Laborer Page 2 of 3
c. Performs landscaping activities to include grading, seeding, fertilization, planting, and
d. Performs activities required to maintain walking trail, park pavilions, and playground
5. Performs other duties of a similar nature as assigned.
Following are particular working conditions associated with this position:
1. Subject to call-ins based upon extenuating circumstances such as weather, road damage, etc.
2. Subject to weekend and holiday rotation schedules
Conditions of Exposure
1. Exposure to outdoor weather conditions
2. Exposure to loud noise, fumes or dust, oily or wet environment chemicals, insecticides, etc.
3. Exposure to hazardous conditions (e.g., construction sites, heavy machinery)
1. Valid Illinois Driver’s License and Illinois Commercial Driver’s License (within 90 days of employment)
1. Standard or Technical High School graduate or GED qualification
2. Prior experience in the maintenance of one or more of the following; streets and/or water and sewer
systems and groundskeeping; can exhibit operational knowledge of the tools, materials, methods, and
practices utilized in street, grounds keeping, and water and sewer system maintenance
3. Prior experience operating motorized equipment (such as backhoes, commercial mowers, and skidsteer wheel loader dump trucks) in all weather and conditions.
4. Prior experience in jobs involving manual labor for extended periods of time including exposure to
environmental conditions such as heat, cold, rain, etc.
5. Prior experience demonstrating ability to successfully work as a member of a team
6. Prior experience overseeing and directing the activities of co-workers
7. Language skills to follow and deliver oral and written instructions and communicate with supervisors,
co-workers, and members of the public