Operate and maintain sewage treatment plant. Maintain plant appearance and perform light maintenance duties.
No supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate treatment facilities to control flow and processing of waste water sludge and effluent.
- Operate, maintain and make adjustments to a variety of computer operated control systems, pumps, blowers, compressors, conveyors, sludge controls, air diffusers, filters and chemical equipment.
- Monitor gauges, meters and control panels.
- Operate valves and gates, either manually or by remote control.
- Start pumps, engines and generators to control and adjust flow and treatment process.
- Maintain a shift log and record meter readings.
- Take samples and perform routine laboratory tests.
- Make operating decisions in absence of supervisory personnel.
- Operate heavy equipment including a forklift, loader, overhead crane and dump truck.
- Supervise and check semi-skilled work performed in assigned work area on shift.
- Perform welding, torch cutting and fabrications.
- Construct concrete forms, pour, patch and finish concrete.
- Perform minor repairs to pumps, valves and electrical systems.
- Transport sludge from satellite plants.
- Adheres to proper safety techniques and utilize safety equipment.
- Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner which promotes good working relationships with clients, customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of the tools, materials, methods, equipment and practices of wastewater treatment. Ability to collect accurate samples. Ability to conduct laboratory tests on water samples. Knowledge of maintenance techniques for a wide variety of facility systems. Ability to operate heavy machinery including fork lifts, loaders, cranes and dump truck. Ability to operate a sewage treatment plant. Must be available to work a three-shift rotating schedule. Ability to work with minimal supervision. Ability to maintain complex logs and records. Ability to evaluate needs of work to be completed. Ability to interact with supervisors, other employees and the general public. Ability to communicate effectively
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Additional training in mechanical and electrical repairs preferred. Previous sewage treatment plant operation and maintenance experience preferred. Requires a Class 4 Illinois Waste Water Operator’s Certificate. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
City Residency required within 15 months from date of hire.
- Waste Water Treatment
- $22.6902 Base Hourly Rate
- November 7, 2017 11:15 AM
- November 17, 2017 4:30 PM