Cook - St LeonardCHI Living Communities
The Cook prepares and processes food for the residents, staff, and guests in compliance with all regulations.
Department: Dietary Reports to: Food Services Supervisor
Essential Job Specific Duties/Responsibilities
1. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of recipe food prep procedures and production sheets and possesses ability to guide other cooks in preparation procedures. a. Follows recipes, using correct measurements of ingredients. b. Checks the production sheets daily for food counts on puree, ground, renal, etc. c. Distinguishes the different scoop sizes. d. Reads spreadsheets daily for scoop guidelines to use at each meal. e. Uses production sheet to sent correct amount of food to assigned area(s).
2. Knows the proper set up and use of the steam tables. a. Before meal, sets up the steam table. b. Sets proper temperatures for food being served from the steam table. c. Gathers and uses the proper scoops on the steam table. d. After serving, breaks down and thoroughly cleans the steam table. e. Takes temperatures before, during, and after each meal, and records it on temperature sheets.
3. Maintains competencies in Serve Safe guidelines. Monitors and instructs other cooks in Serve Safe Guidelines. a. Calibrates thermometer before each meal. b. Uses proper cool down of food before putting it away. c. Prevents cross contamination by preparing meats in one area and vegetables in another. d. Makes sure that food is always at the minimum internal cooking temperature.
4. Maintains proficiency in proper shipping of food procedures. a. Ensures that food is placed in proper containers (4” pans, 6” pans, etc.) b. Covers hot food with saran wrap and aluminum foil. c. Labels each container with food type and which area it is going to. d. Before packing, makes sure that cambro boxes are clean and sanitized. e. Takes food temperatures before sending it to residents.
5. Operates all stoves, ovens, slicers, etc. and instructs other cooks in proper operating procedures. a. Knows how to turn on and set temperatures on the oven, steamer, and stove. b. Operates the slicer utilizing safety guidelines and proper cleaning after use. c. Operates the deep fryer and properly cleans after use.
6. Satisfies all educational in-service requirements mandated by CHI Living Communities, the department, external accrediting, and regulatory agencies. a. Attends all mandatory in-service programs. b. Adheres to facility policies and procedures. c. Completes yearly online education program by deadline. d. Attends employee meetings on a regular basis.
In addition to the essential job specific duties listed above, the Cook shall be required to perform all duties (essential and non-essential) in a manner consistent with the mission statement and core values (reverence, integrity, compassion, excellence) of CHI Living Communities and will be evaluated on such basis. Furthermore, every employee must abide by all campus, departmental, and safety policies, rules, and regulations.
We recognize our employees’ contributions to CHI Living Communities by offering benefit programs to enhance and preserve their work/life balance and help them protect, plan, and prepare for today and tomorrow. Benefits vary for PRN, part and full-time employees, you can always check with the Human Resource Director at the Center for information. We truly believe that home is here for our residents and our employees.
Professional and Personal Growth Opportunities
CHI Living Communities supports employees’ professional and personal growth with opportunities on and off-campus.
- Tuition Reimbursement Program for full and part-time employees
- Online Campus Learning with Relias Learning
- Dedication to identifying and promoting people from within
CHI Living Communities recognizes that employees need time away from work to rejuvenate and have a balanced work/life.
- Employees accumulate paid time off based on hours worked
- New employees can begin to accumulate up to 160 PTO hours off
- PTO increases with additional years of service
- Time and a half is paid for work done on holidays
- Company-paid time off for jury duty
- Company-paid time off for bereavement
Health Protection for You and Your Family
CHI Living Communities offers a comprehensive health benefits package to help you improve and maintain your health and the well-being of your family with special programs for weight loss and exercise. The following benefits are available to employees working 30 hours or more a week.
- Employee medical coverage with the majority paid by CHI Living Communities
- Multiple health insurance plan options so you can select the one that works best for you and your family
- Dental Option Plan with 75% paid by CHI Living Communities - Click here to learn about Superior Dental Care Value Added Benefits
- Vision Option Plan - Learn about a special hearing aid discount program connected with the plan
- 100% Company-Paid Short-Term Disability
- 100% Company-Paid Long-Term Disability
We value our employees’ futures.
- Full-time employees benefit from company-paid life insurance valued at two times their annual salary
- All employees are eligible for the Fidelity Investments 401K Plan
- Automatic employer contribution for employees who meet the 1,000-hour requirement and are active at the end of the calendar year
- All employees are eligible for the Employee Assistance Program through Mutual of Omaha that provides confidential assistance for employees and their immediate families, if ever in need.
CHI Living Communities has the right to change the job specific duties and specifications required for the position of Cook from time to time without prior notice.