Please apply online at: http://jobs.jobvite.com/mcclatchy/job/ojiL7fwd
The Belleville News-Democrat is looking for an aggressive, lightning-fast reporter who can jump on breaking news that is essential to our communities and tell the stories through words, photos and video as well as on social media.
From late-night mayhem to natural disasters and everything in between, this reporter will identify the breaking stories that our communities need or want to know about, tell them in an engaging way, update them as often as necessary and help them reach a large audience by adding an irresistible headline, impeccable SEO and great visuals.
You must understand the need for speed as well as context, and you must be committed to increasing the sense of urgency across the newsroom. Your goal is to help us grow our audience reach and earn loyal readers by making sure we are a credible, timely and compelling source of breaking news in Southern Illinois.
Night and weekend shifts are part of the job.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment;
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos;
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics;
- Understanding of open records laws and the ability to file, manage and oversee FOIA requests pertinent to the beat;
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital;
- Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout our newsroom and company. This is a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
Education and/or Experience Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.