Nurse PractitionerAnderson Hospital
The Nurse Practitioner’s primary responsibility is to promote and maintain health by providing safe and effective medical services under the supervision of a physician or surgeon. The Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) provides diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive health care services, as delegated by the supervising physician. As a member of the health care team, the APN takes medical histories, examines and treats patients, orders and interprets laboratory tests and x rays, and makes diagnoses. The APN can also treat minor injuries. The APN records progress notes, instructs and counsels patients, and orders or carries out therapy. The Nurse Practitioner may prescribe some medications based on the details of the collaborative agreement with the supervising physician. Other duties may include supervising technicians and assistants.
- Contributes to physician’s effectiveness by identifying short-term and long range patient care issues that must be addressed; providing information pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; implementing physician directives.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients; performing physical examinations; obtaining, updating and studying medical histories.
- Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests, such as laboratory tests or radiology studies. Interprets test results.
- Prescribes medications based on any restrictions within the cooperative agreement with the supervising physician.
- Documents patient care completely, accurately and in a timely manner.
- Performs therapeutic procedures by administering injections and immunizations; suturing; managing wounds and infections.
- Assesses patient and family learning needs and provides instruction and counseling by describing therapeutic regimens, giving normal parameters, promoting wellness and health maintenance.
- Provides continuity of care by working in conjunction with the supervising physician to develop and implement patient management plans.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Develops health care team staff by providing information, educational opportunities and experiential growth opportunities.
- Monitor performance of healthcare professionals at lower levels including nurses, technicians and medical assistants.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Requirements and Other Requirements:
Education Level: Master’s Degree in Nursing and a graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner curriculum.
Certification: National certification as a nurse practitioner by one of the following certifying bodies as appropriate
for the available position.:
· American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
· American Nurses Credentialing Center
· The Pediatric Nurse Certification Board
· The National Certification Corporation for the Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing Specialties
· The Certification Board for Urologic Nurses and Associates.
Licensure: Licensure to practice in the State of Illinois; Controlled Substance License and DEA preferred.
Experience Requirements: One year of experience as a nurse practitioner is preferred.
Other Requirements: Must be able to complete computer work.